Monday, January 31, 2011

"Play is a child's work." ~Jean Piaget


I titled this blog post with a quote from one of my favorite early childhood theorists, Jean Piaget. Piaget was really the first of many who opened the eyes of educational professionals long ago to the power and importance of the play of young children. Since I have spent the last ten years of my life "playing" with children each day, I of course always saw the value in playing with purpose and connecting with young children.  I watched them grow and learn for nine months out of the year and saw them mature and learn new things.  I always valued play and chose the materials that I used in my classrooms wisely.  No classroom experience prepared me for the amazing "play" experiences that I have had with my little boy.

Kirk is ALMOST 18 months old now.  He can play, play, play!  He has moved swiftly through several types of play and amazes me with the things he now "pretends" to do.  He sometimes prefers to play alone, and moves his toys away from me so he can do whatever he wants with them.  He puts on a scarf, throws a bag over his shoulder, waves and says "bye-bye" to Jeremy and I and reaches for the door handle.  He likes to fill things and empty them.  He hides things and then looks for them.  He likes to play chase, stack toys, and climb on everything.  The power of play is amazing.  We can play with an expensive toy, or an empty yogurt container.  It's all "play," and it's all important.  I love playing with my little boy, and I hope he always loves playing with me!


So all the cold weather and snow days had us feeling cooped up.  We played at home; we played at the mall; we played at Chick-fil-a (with Angel and Riley); and we decided to try to go play at Billy Bob's!  Kirk was too little for most of the stuff, but he liked sitting in this firetruck and turning the steering wheel.  He had no fear of climbing on or in anything, which makes me fear the future!  Yikes!



There was a highly visible sign that said "No Children Under 3" on the carousel.  Jeremy plopped him on a horse anyway, and of course he yelled "Go!  Go!"  How in the world did he know that everything has a "go" button?




He did ride the little ferris wheel and he said "Whee!" every time it went around.  We actually had to come back and ride it again!



He has gotten much better about sitting (not climbing, standing, or jumping) in his chair.  In this picture, he is holding his Elmo doll while watching "Elmo's World" on dvd.  He is quite the tv junkie these days and would watch it forever if I'd let him.  He loves Elmo and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  He talks to the tv, laughs at funny things, and waves at the characters.  He has learned a few things, like counting to 10 and a few more animal sounds.  I swear, his ability to tune me out while his favorite shows are on is definitely a skill he got from his dad!

If you're reading this blog, I hope that you have children around you that you can play with.  I am reminded everyday that the theories I learned and taught from for years are true.  Nothing is more important than engaging in play with young children.  Just put your "to do" list in the back of your mind and spend time completely focused on children and their imaginative thoughts and actions.  It truly is the most priceless experience. 
So....go have some fun, and JUST PLAY!!




"Play is often talked about as if it is a relief from serious learning.  But for children, play is serious learning.  Play is really the work of childhood."  ~Fred Rogers  (my favorite)




No comments:

Post a Comment