Sunday, December 28, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year


     I think 2014 is one of the best years that I've had in a long time. Our family was fairly healthy, we had a great vacation, and Kirk's kindergarten year has gone well.  As Kirk gets older and more independent, I feel like I am finding myself more and realizing what I need to do in order to be the best mother and wife I can be.  

     The picture above was taken on Christmas day.  Kirk bought me some beautiful jewelry from Santa's workshop at school. He was so proud to give us gifts.  I get so frustrated with him sometimes because I feel like although I have tried to preach empathy and compassion to others, he is still self centered and selfish.  He bought 3 gifts for me and 2 for Jeremy, and brought home $5.00 (I gave him $10.00).  He never mentioned buying anything for himself, and he gave me back the money.  I know he is still too young to understand how to "serve the greater good," but I pray I can raise him to be someone who understands that giving is more rewarding than receiving. He was excited for us to open our gifts.  I love them and will treasure them always!


     We were ready for Santa on Christmas Eve.  Kirk was so excited about Christmas this year.  I love his excitement, and it was nice to have a Christmas that I felt like we didn't break the bank to buy gifts for each other.  Jeremy put new tires on my car (which was an EXPENSIVE gift) and he paid to have my wedding rings sized down (which was ALSO EXPENSIVE).  I got some Pandora charms, and I got him tickets to see Bob Seger in concert (he is an old soul!).  Kirk got a few gifts and he was happy.  I realize more and more each year that it really isn't all about the gifts and the shopping.  It's about really thinking about the people that you love and honoring them with something that they really want.  We were all happy through the holidays.  Jeremy and I LOVE watching Kirk believe in magic and enjoy his things, but most importantly, we love each other.  That's the most important thing by far.

I'm looking forward to ringing in the new year with my family.  Jeremy and I have NEVER been with Kirk on New Year's Eve (we usually go out), so it will be different spending that time with Kirk.  Kirk swears he can stay up until midnight.....we'll see!  I'm excited to see what 2015 brings.  I'm expecting another GREAT year!

No comments:

Post a Comment