Monday, September 3, 2012

It's time to HERO UP!


     So this weekend was supposed to be full of rest, catching up on housework and homework, and maybe a little shopping.....most of this I was able to do.  It seems that whenever I have a few weeks that make me feel like I kind of have my life under control, something happens to remind me to ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, stay on my toes.  Something strange happened to my son on Sunday afternoon in church near the end of mass.  He did not want to walk down the communion isle with me, he wanted me to "carry him."  I refused, and the amazing, mind blowing tantrum ensued.  
     He sat down in the middle of the isle first, crossing his arms.  The people behind us laughed.  I walked on like I didn't know him.  I looked back again, and he was laying face down, spread eagle on the cold marble floor....in the middle of two slowly moving lines of gawking people....some were laughing.  I kept walking, and I wanted to melt into the floor.  I still did not pick him up.  We got to the front, and Father Dean blessed him and said, "I hope you have a better day, buddy"  and he chuckled.  We went back to our pew, and several people pointed and laughed.  I think I will have to change religions.
     He kept it up to the car, kicking and screaming about just everything.  It took us 20 minutes to just get in the car.  He stiffened out, screaming and yelling, and refused to let me buckle him in.  I screamed some, which I am not proud of, and I spanked him, which I'm sure in his fit of rage he didn't even feel it.  He lost his DVD player in the car.  I took it off right then, and put it in the trunk, along with his new Iron Man toy that he   says he "loves so much."  He simmered down to a sniffle by the time we got home, and he went straight to bed for a nap.  
      He woke up back to his normal self, apparently his nap was a sort of exorcism (which I had pondered asking Father Dean to perform while I waited for his head to spin around in the car), and I had my little boy back.  I had no idea he was capable of such madness.  I was reminded of the bipolar craziness of little kiddos and how I must always make sure my "toolbox" (for dealing with behaviors) is full at school and at home.  As parents, we must be super heroes as well, and remember to keep it together when they are falling apart.  I lived through it and I learned a lot.  Expect the unexpected.  Look for the signs (I should have just quickly exited church after communion....maybe I could have saved the total breakdown from happening?) and make sure to keep tabs on sleep, meals, routines, etc.  Behavior is communication, and I still don't know exactly what Kirk was trying to tell me yesterday besides...."Mommy....HERO UP!"  Haha!  Hopefully, next time, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment