Friday, April 20, 2012

High Five For Friday


Who gives a better high five than Dora and Boots?  No one, that's who!  "We did it!" they exclaim as they jump in the air and slap palms after a job well done....if only we could all be so excited to congratulate each other!  I had an EXHAUSTING week, which ended yesterday with a big good bye to my tenth group of preschoolers.  I gave them all extra tight hugs when they left for the day, and I even got some "I love you too"s back.  It's like leaving home, because they are what has come to feel comfortable to me for the past 125 school days.  It's what we do as teachers.....help them learn, grow, and move on.  A teacher once told me that our job as educators was not only to love our students, but to make them lovable to others.  I had a very lovable group this year, and I will honestly miss them.  So in a few weeks I will begin the summer months, and I will continue to pray that they are all happy, safe, and successful in kindergarten.  I enjoyed singing, dancing, laughing, learning, and creating with them and I look forward to what the next school year will bring.


So here are my top five things for the week, in no particular order:

1.  Our last day of school was "Preschool Field Day."  It was great!  The kids played outside all afternoon and everyone got a "Mr. Snow" snow cone.  It was delicious, and everyone had so much fun!

2.  Not that material things matter, but check out this AMAZING Vera Bradley beach bag that I got from one of my kiddos!  It is the BEST teacher gift I've ever gotten (and I've gotten some good ones!).  Kirk has already planned what to pack in it....his "goggles, bucket, towels, and sun-scream."  Haha!


3.  I also got a gift certificate for a massage at Studio 21, a Scentsy warmer, and a Visa gift card!  Like I said, material things and gifts are not all that matters, but they sure do make a girl feel special!  I had some awesome families this year!

4.  We had an iMac training on Tuesday evening, and although I have dreaded it for weeks, it was actually a lot of fun!  We played around with the photo booth, and laughed until we cried!  It just showed me again that every situation is what you make of it!

5.  Kirk had a couple rough days at day care and at home this week.  Why did this make my top five for the week?  Because I made it through doing what I know is right.  I didn't bribe him or promise him anything for changing his behavior.  I just talked to him about making good choices and being good for the sake of being good.  It would have been easy for me to promise some M&Ms for decent behavior in CVS, but instead I just kept talking, trying to reason, and dealt with the tears and him pulling at my clothes.  I didn't threaten him with things I wasn't going to do.  He didn't get to watch tv for 2 days (punishment).  I know it's hard for him to go places with me after his long day at day care.  He has shared toys all day, waited his turn, and been served foods he doesn't like.  I understand that he's 2 years old and isn't able to tell me that he's just tired and wants to go home to his own things.  But life is all about learning to cope, and hopefully I can help him to learn some of the skills I had to learn much later in life.  Doing what I know is best is the hardest thing I've ever done (much easier with my school kiddos!).  I know in the end, I will have a child who can make good choices, feels confident and has self respect.  If I can just keep my head up through all the screams, foot stomping, and noodle legs........haha.


If you're reading this and you're interested in reading about positive guidance and discipline, please look into some of the books below.  I love Dr. Becky Bailey's work, and reading her books and practicing her techniques have changed my life as a teacher and a mother.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Bailey, B. A., (2000). Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation. New York: Harper Collins.


Bailey, B. A., (1997). I Love You Rituals: Activities to Build Bonds and Strengthen Relationships With Children. Oviedo, Florida: Loving Guidance.


Bailey, B. A., (1996). There's Got To Be A Better Way: Discipline that Works. Oviedo, Florida: Loving Guidance.


* These books are all available on Dr. Bailey's website, http://consciousdiscipline.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment