Thursday, March 29, 2012

High Five For Friday


Okay, so I decided to try and keep up with my "high five for Friday" posts for now, and continue to list the top five things that happened this week.  I had a busy week at school, with our Easter egg hunt, our Art Show, and basically just keeping up with 20 preschoolers all week is a challenge (every week!).  I like reflecting back on all the positive things from the past week, and looking forward to what the next week (and Friday blog post) will bring.

Here are my top 5 things from the week, in no particular order:

1.  Kirk had his best music class yet.  We have been going to music class at MU with Miss Joni Pappas since Kirk was 9 months old.  I enrolled us because I know how important music and movement are to young kids and how it helps to build language, communication, coordination, and cooperation.  Kirk is one of the older kids in his class now, and he follows directions, sings the words to the songs, and does the movements without me prompting him.  He even tells Miss Joni the directions before she says them, like "okay, get up on your feet for some dancing!"  He used to crawl up my leg for me to hold him, and now he marches in front of me.  He is amazing to watch, and I am so thankful that we have been a part of Miss Joni's program for so long....she is wonderful, and puts up with Kirk "helping" her do just about everything each week!

2.  Kirk had his spring pictures taken.  He was a super model, of course, smiling on cue, and posing for every shot.  He is so fun to watch, and I am so thankful that Jeremy has conceded to allow me to drag him to photo sessions every 3 or 4 months!  I'll post pictures soon!

3.  We had our egg hunt at school this week since we are off for spring break next week.  I asked all the families to send in a dozen candy filled eggs (like I do every year).  I usually have a few families send in extra, and that helps to make up for the kiddos I have who don't bring any in (because they can't afford it, or no one at home read their notes....).  Anyway, this year I had the MOST eggs I've ever had as a teacher-516!  Can you believe that 19 kids hunted 516 eggs in a small grassy area outside our school?  It was crazy, and I am so thankful that I have such great families who sent in so much extra.  I only had one kiddo who didn't bring any eggs in, but he left with a backpack full of eggs.  I think most of the eggs went home empty, though....and I cleaned up candy wrappers for about 30 minutes after school.  What a fun day!

4.  In the midst of all our Easter and Art Show madness at school, I had been dealing with all of our Easter things....candy, buckets, eggs, etc., and one of my little guys came up to me and asked if another boy had brought a bucket to hold his eggs to school.  I told him that he hadn't, but that it was okay, I would find something for him to put his eggs in while we hunted.  He looked at me and said, "Mrs. Walker, if he doesn't have a bucket, I can share my bucket with him."  I almost cried.  What a sweet kid, and a kind gesture.  Just when we think there is no more good in the world, a little boy offers to share his bucket.  I'm thankful to his parents for raising such a compassionate kid, and I'm thankful that I have gotten to be his teacher this year.  What a blessing.  I hope he always wants to share his bucket.

5.  Friday is my last day of work for 9 days!  Spring break!  Whoo hoo!  I plan on  hanging out at home with Kirk, catching up on some spring cleaning, and visiting Rachael and her family in Lexington.  I am definitely looking forward to a week off!


I hope you had a great week.  Take some time to reflect on your "high five!"

No comments:

Post a Comment