Friday, July 13, 2012

high five for Friday

How perfect that I found a "high five for Friday" graphic of a teacher and a chalk board 2 weeks before I have to go back to school?   It is hard to believe that I have been out of school for over 2 months, and that my summer is coming to an end.  A new school year is about to begin, new kiddos will look at me with wide eyes as I read them stories for the first time, sing songs they have never heard, teach them new and exciting things, and take care of them as my own for the upcoming 9 months.  Sounds amazing, right?  It is.  The tears, tantrums, messes, and chaos are all a part of it too....and I wouldn't change a thing.  SO....I will enjoy the last few days of my summer and look forward to the new school year with hope and excitement.  So many mommies and daddies are anxious right now about some lady who will take care of their precious baby.  I know that feeling well, and I have a new understanding of the trust and faith that so many have in me.  I'm ready, and I will miss my time with my precious baby, but I am so thankful that I get to have a special part of so many other lives and that we will share each other's minds and hearts.  Teachers change lives.  Period.


With all that said, I will list my top five things for this week...


#1...Kirk and I stopped at Orange Leaf after our trip to the library on Thursday.  Like every other kid I know, Kirk picked everything that was bright and colorful to throw on top of his ice cream.  He ate every bite, and even asked me to scrape the last few M & Ms out of the melted mess at the bottom.  He is his mother's son.....we LOVE some ice cream!



#2.......Kirk and I went to Lego day camp at the Barboursville Library.  Barboursville Library is by far my favorite library.  The children's staff is amazing, I love Miss Willa, and I don't give compliments like that often.  We started going to their story time at Chick-fil-a earlier in the summer, and I really enjoy it...probably more than Kirk!  We went to Lego camp, and Kirk worked very hard on linking every train car together and then filled the train with every animal he could find.  The lady leading the camp took lots of pictures of Kirk's train and he was so proud.  Kirk was one of the youngest kids there, but he jumped right in and stayed busy the whole time.  I liked observing all the kiddos and the stuff they built.  I definitley saw gender research at work.....girls building "out" (covering surface area) and boys building "up" (as tall as they can reach).  Kirk was a toddler cliche'  by using all of one kind of block, then all of something else......he played with other kids for a while, but mostly by himself (so he didn't have to share materials).  I love watching little minds at work!



#3.....My mom came for a visit this week, and she gave me a box of things from her classroom (she retired in June).  I quickly pulled out some of the great books that Kirk and I didn't have at home.  The Harry the Dirty Dog  series was one of my favorites as a kid, and Kirk loved them, too.  We even found another one at the library on Thursday.  Kirk wants to "read" to me a lot now, which is so sad, but amazing, because he can remember words from books I've read to him only once.  I like holding my little boy on my lap and reading to him, and I savor every minute of it.  Kirk loves books like his Mama, and I hope he lets me read to him for a long time to come.


George and Martha are two awesome hippos....Kirk and I love them, too!


#4....I have to say, cooler temperatures this week were a relief!  I think we were all grateful to have some 80 degree days!

#5....My new vinegar and dish liquid shower cleaner was an amazing discovery, and as I type I have a baking soda and vinegar mixture sitting in my oven in an attempt to clean it as well.  Keep your fingers crossed that it is a miracle too!  I still have a few summer cleaning projects to go, and a few days left to do them!


**My niece Bella is in Disney World right now, and I am so excited for her! She watched the fireworks over Cinderella's castle last night from the air conditioned dessert bar at the Tomorrowland Terrace and she enjoyed breakfast with Cinderella and other princesses this morning (both reservations made by her amazing Auntie Kelly). My sister Erin immediately asked for my help when she was planning her trip, and I quickly pulled out my "mouse-ka-tools" and got to work. Hopefully my tips for meals and rides will help them have a magical visit!  I know Bella will have a mouse shaped place in her heart like her Auntie Kelly! 

Have a very magical weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment