Saturday, June 9, 2012

High Five For Friday!


So you would think a lady of leisure like myself, who is not "working" technically, and has plenty of time to keep up her blog, wouldn't skip a week of "high fives," but it happened!  I am not enjoying so much "leisure," actually, and I have found a way to keep pretty busy everyday.  I do love the summer months for so many reasons, and here are some of my top things for the week.....


1.  I mean, just look at this cute little scrunched up face and tell me you don't love it too?  I love going to the pool with my favorite little boy.  We have such a great time, and he has discovered that they sell snow cones at the concession stand for "ONE DOLLAR, MAMA!"  Needless to say, he makes sure to check my bag to make sure I have money now. 

2.  I started my summer class at MSU this week (blah!) but as a bonus, I did NOT have to buy a textbook for this course!  Yay!  I have to read a bunch of stuff online, but it is awesome that I didn't have to fork over a bunch of dough on a boring ol' textbook.

3.  I had lunch with a great friend yesterday and stopped in my classroom to grab "a few" books that I thought Kirk would enjoy.  I ended up bringing home about 25 books, and we've already read half of them.  I'm so glad Kirk loves reading books with me, and I hope he sits on my lap forever! (*I'll post a list of some of our favorites below.)


4.  My new earrings from Elisabeth Ashlie came in the mail today (ETSY shop).  I absolutely love them, and this picture doesn't really do them justice. The blue stones are a really bright periwinkle color, and the sea foam green ones look like something from the ocean.   I follow the blogs that the shop owners write, and I love their style and their jewelery is so pretty.  I actually had to ask for a "custom order" for these and I still got them in 3 days (with the super cute packaging as well!).  You should check out their shop, their jewelery is beautiful if you want something nice for yourself or for an awesome gift!  I think I want a red pair next......

5.  Lastly, I must say that the anticipation that Kirk has for his "Day Out With Thomas" tomorrow has got to be one of the best things this week....he is SO EXCITED!  We have looked at pictures, videos, talked,  and planned this trip for weeks, and he is over the moon that it is finally here.  He loves Thomas the Train and all his friends so much, and I think he will bust to pieces when he gets on that "passenger car."  I never in a million years thought I would know so much about trains. I'm so glad we get to experience this with him....MANY more pictures to come!  ALL ABOARD!



Also....a big shout out to my Mama...Kathy Kirk, who retired this past Wednesday!  Way to go, Grandma.  She worked for 27 years as a kindergarten and Pre-K teacher for McDowell County Schools.  I sure will be proud when my day comes!



I also want to take a minute just to write down how thankful I am for my small family and our health and happiness.  It seems as more things happen to people and places around us, I am so very proud and thankful for Jeremy, our life, and our healthy boy.  God has truly blessed us, and continues to do so each day.  I make sure to remember this each day and my gratitude is immeasurable. 


As promised, here is a list of some of our favorite books:

10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle
Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too? by Eric Carle
The Very Hungry Caterpillar  by Eric Carle...(can you tell I like Eric Carle books?)
The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
The Rainbow Fish  by Marcus Pfister
I Love You, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt

Kirk loves so many books, it would be hard to list them all.  We love the "Froggy" books by Johnathon London, as well as all of the "If You Give a __ a ___" books by Laura Numeroff.  Kirk can remember a story after is has been read to him only once, and after a few readings, he can "read" each page almost word for word.  I love sharing my favorites with him, and watching him hear great stories for the first time.  I want him to know that there is nothing more magical than a great book! 

Children who are read 5 or more books a week become better readers themselves, are more successful in school, and have higher self confidence.  If you have little ones around you, pick up a book and dive in!  In this busy world we live in, I think you will find that time stands still when a kiddo crawls in your lap with a book.  Have fun, and keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment